[ale] Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:45:11 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Brian MacLeod <nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > And then running "syslinux" pointing to my USB device.  I notice that it
> > does create some file in the root directory, but for the life of my USB
> > doesn't boot anymore.  I used to have a "USB-ZIP" option when I chose my
> > boot device after post, but only "USB-CD" shows up.  What am I doing
> wrong?
>

> Right.  As I said in before, USB-ZIp is different.
> ----
> And of course, turn on USB boot in your BIOS.  That you'll have to
> figure out a bit on your own, since various ones put it in different
> places.  This could potentially be a problem area if your BIOS
> supports USB-ZIP emulation and not HD (see:
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/doc/usbkey.txt on how to deal with this).
> ----
>

> > I've had to reformat the USB device a couple times. I tried it as an ext3
> > format first, but "syslinux" said it only wanted FAT. When I tried to
> > reformat it back to FAT it crapped out on me and I had to reformat it
> under
> > Windows Vista. Once I got back to status quo, I copied the "pxeboot"
> files
> > and ran syslinux.
>

> And when you reformatted, did you make it bootable?  There is >0
> chance that in the process of formatting it and changing filesystems
> that the bootable flag was removed from the partition table of the
> device.  This is generally why I only use partitioning tools in linux,
> or, if I must, fdisk in windows (not the gui'd up storage manager in
> Windows).
>
> Syslinux installs a file in the root so it can work -- the MBR code
> loads this file, and then this file loads the configuration.  Pretty
> much all bootloaders do this now.
>
> bnm

Thanks Brian.  It makes sense.  I most likely did not format it with a
bootable option, thus the removal of "USB-ZIP".  My BIOS does support it
caused it worked the first time without me having to make any changes.  I'll
work on that some more.

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"