[ale] Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:45:34 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

> And that's exactly what I was going for. "Phenominal cosmic power!
> Itty bitty living space!"
>
> On 4/18/09, scott mcbrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I ran a F10 install last night using the boot.iso image on a CD. It
> >> detected the network connection and loaded F10 automatically once I
> >> told it to start networking with DHCP. All the latest updates by
> >> default. I suspect that the other, smaller disk.img files can be used
> >> to do the exact same thing from a usb drive.
> >>

> > Indeed, that is their intent, to get your machine bootstrapped enough to
> be
> > able to attach to a local or network resource which will provide the rest
> of
> > the data.  The added bonus is you only have to download ~20MiB of stuff
> > instead of the whole DVD image.
> >
> > -Scott
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> Marc F.
>
> www.fergytech.com
> Registered Linux User: #410978
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"

Hey Fellas,

I'm now running into a little snag and I need your help. My first attempt at
doing the USB device/NetInstall was remarkably successfully. I installed
Fedora 11 Beta and was on my way to BETA Hell! So; now that I've decided
that I'm not functional in a beta environment, I'm trying to go back to
Fedora 10 and wait patiently... so patiently that I'll wait 2wks after F11
is released before I submit myself to that kind of *freshness* again.

I downloaded the files in the "pxeboot" folder and put them onto my USB
device in a "fedora" folder.

ftp://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora/releases/10/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/pxeboot/

And then running "syslinux" pointing to my USB device.  I notice that it
does create some file in the root directory, but for the life of my USB
doesn't boot anymore.  I used to have a "USB-ZIP" option when I chose my
boot device after post, but only "USB-CD" shows up.  What am I doing wrong?

I've had to reformat the USB device a couple times. I tried it as an ext3
format first, but "syslinux" said it only wanted FAT. When I tried to
reformat it back to FAT it crapped out on me and I had to reformat it under
Windows Vista. Once I got back to status quo, I copied the "pxeboot" files
and ran syslinux.