[ale] Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade

David M Lemcoe Jr. forum at lemcoe.com
Fri Apr 24 16:16:49 EDT 2009

Chris Fowler wrote:
> How has the upgrade been for people?
>
> I did an upgrade 8.10 -> 9.04.  I've seen the following issues
>
> 1.  Bad sounds in pidgin.
>
> In pidgin instead of getting the ding when a person sends me a
> message I get partial ding or even a tiny bit of static on my
> speakers.  Sometimes I get the ding.
>
> 2.  i had to reboot today because evolution was not responding when
>  I would click 'Reply'.  I killed evo and then started it back.  No
>  help. Had to reboot.

My Ubuntu (Xubuntu actually) install was interesting. I found out
that, apparently, ext4 support is *only* on the alternate install CD,
which I had no idea about, as it was not in the release notes. So
after two Bittorrent downloads, I have ext4 support in Xubuntu 9.04.

I only had two issues. (one's not really an issue)

1. My very first session in Xubuntu 9.04 was slow as anything. A look
at top said that "xfdesktop" was burning anywhere from 50 to 100
percent CPU, and making the task of just viewing windows very painful.

2. Next, I had issues getting my favorite dock (avant-window-manager)
to work. I, of course, needed compiz. I installed it, and when I went
to run it, I got an Xgl error. After getting help on #xubuntu, I found
out that 9.04 apparently doesn't notify you about proprietary drivers,
leaving it up to you to find out you need them. I had to manually
select the drivers, and then after a restart, everything was just fine.

In all honesty, all I have noticed with the new Xubuntu is that I get
faster boot times (because of ext4), a new kernal, and a new theme
(which I changed). So, on the surface, I did not see many advantages
for my uses. Though, it still is great to have the latest and greatest.

David