[ale] What Do You Think About Cable vs DSL Now-a-Days?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:34:43 EDT 2009

As mentioned, you have to consider the usage policy. That is one of
the reasons I use AtNex over AT&T (can't get cable as far out as I am
so it isn't even a consideration).

Technically, you share DSL with your neighbors once it hits the local
routing box[1]. It just isn't setup in a daisy chain like cable is in
some neighborhoods. The biggest advantage to DSL is lower latency. On
my 3Mb DSL link (too far out for 6Mb), I get an average ping time of
91ms (88ms to 119ms) over 50 pings to google.com. If you play a lot of
games online, or use VoIP, this is the measure you want to use in your
decision.

[1] -- http://www.dslreports.com/faq/129

--
James Sumners