[ale] MythTV InstallFest

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:24:26 EDT 2009

Hey Crew,

Response to the idea of a MythTV InstallFest  was favorable. (See post

To start the ball rolling...

I vote for an event date very close to the Digital TV transition date
of June 12.  The optimal date to be Saturday, June 13. The local TV
stations will most likely have their OTA signal operating at peak
performance -- for that day anyway.  Also, there is a slight chance
that this date might attract some media coverage to the event, OSS and
Linux in the form of a "How people are handling the DTV transition"
human interest story.

The basic install of Linux and MythTV has become relatively trivial;
however, optimizing a MythTV system is considerably less trivial.
Perhaps we should focus the event on maintaining and optimizing a
MythTV system.

In order to make the event as productive as possible for newbies,
perhaps we should establish a prototypical system comprised of known
to be dependable hardware. In short, tell attendees that if they
show-up with X model video card, Y model capture card/device, and Z
amount of processing power, it is very likely that they will leave
with a fully functional and dependable machine.

Should we have presentations? Any VDPAU gurus?

Should we do installs in the morning and have "how to" type
presentations in the afternoon?

Should we branch out to include: Boxee, LinuxMCE, XBMC, Tivo, etc?

Cheers,
H. P. Ladds