[ale] crontab

Brandon Wood woody at 2143.net
Thu Apr 23 13:56:41 EDT 2009

This doesn't address the specific question but it is related:

This seems like a good place to point out the following bit I keep in my
cron file. The comments that trace down to the columns has always been very
useful to me. I didn't come up with this and I'm sorry to say I don't
remember where I saw it first.

Also another thing I would suggest in terms of cron maintenance is editing
text file (I call mine cronjobs.txt) and when you want to update your cron
jobs you run: "contab -r && crontab ./cronjobs.txt" . crontab -r will clear
out your jobs and crontab ./file.txt will load your new jobs. It's been
handy to me have that setup for backups. YMMV

(word-wrap may be your enemy below)
==================
# Global variables
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=woody at 2143.net
HOME=/home/bwood

#  minute (0-59),
#  |     hour (0-23),
#  |     |       day of the month (1-31),
#  |     |       |       month of the year (1-12),
#  |     |       |       |       day of the week (0-6 with 0=Sunday).
#  |     |       |       |       |       commands
   0 *       *      *       *       /home/bwood/script.sh