[ale] It's official - Oracle has assimilated Sun

David W. Millians millia at panix.com
Wed Apr 22 13:47:10 EDT 2009

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> The reason I think it might be required to spin off MySQL is
> specifically because of the Administration change.  We no longer have a
> "business above all" mentality.
> Interesting discussion about Oracle killing or not killing MySQL here:
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7309/

While I personally think spinning off mysql would be best, I'm not
panicking if it doesn't happen.
Choice a) Oracle invest money in it. Good!
Choice b) They don't. Fine- there's a fork run by at least some of the
previous creators. We have to change the 'LAMP' acronym to something
else. LARP is already taken, but LAPP, LAAP, LEAP (if you change order),
  LASP etc. are all available. The biggest problem is the
lip-service-and-stall approach to killing it, but I don't think they'll
be given 18 months of time by the community before a solid fork happens.

Classic internet re-routing.

I'd rather they be forced to open other things Sun related. I have to
admit I was excited by the possibility of GPL'd ZFS. That'd be a real
thorn in Microsoft's side.