[ale] HOW2 choose an organizer/phone ?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Apr 21 13:19:44 EDT 2009

I was pretty excite about the G1, and had already decided to buy one...until I actually got to play with one.
It just feels really cheap to me, and the keyboard slide feels like it is too flimsy.
I'll wait for an android phone until I'm happy with the hardware it runs on.
My Nokia E71 is about 99% of what I want in a phone.  It is very thin, feels like it's made from a block of steel and the battery lasts almost forever.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Ned Williams <nedj10 at gmail.com> 4/21/2009 12:36 PM >>>
It should be noted the G1 is no more tied to google than the Iphone as far
as active data, you do NOT have to give it any info to google  you do not
want to in order to gain access to the OS, the web browsing functionality,
application installation,pop/imap/MAPI(via NitroDesk 3rd party app). One
should also know the entire OS has been released under the apache license,
it may not be GPL but who RFC's if Stallman's underwear gets twisted up over
this, its linux, and Linux inst entirely GPL either (according to GNU).

The only gripe I have had with the G1 over the iphone  or my treo is that
basic functionality has to be downloaded and installed,
ActiveSync Mial, comes via the aforementioned NitroDesk TouchDown
Notepad has be downloaded to get the function of the Treo's memos
IM+ a pay for app for IM is functionally comparable to the current Pidgin,
if  you had this on the treo, which you had to if you wanted a useable IM
client, they will transfer your license at no charge (lfe time license)

Todo is a download from the  market or the developer's webpage it replaces
the tasks function of the Treo.

beyond that all the media, functionality and the GPS stuff is cool. AndNav2
recently came out using the OpenMap project for its map source so OpenSource
turn by turn is now becoming available.

.

For the ultra paranoid you can by your phone from brightstar as a dev model
if you are willing to pay the up-charge thus eliminating any knowledge of
your phone to t-moblile, aside from what they will see when it registers on
the 3G network.

I too went from the Treo 650 and I debated for several months on the next
phone the deciding factor for me to go to the G1 is the cupcake OS update,
where BlueTooth A2DP will be available finally allowing me to move my media
from my bt headphones to my car, to my home system without cables.

Ned

.