[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Apr 21 11:38:48 EDT 2009

Lots of interesting discussion here.

Let me point out that before you start selecting vendors and technology
for a tethered' net connection it's really important to decide what you
want to be able to do where.

        A. Just Major Metro Areas?

        B. Interstates?

        C. Suburbs?

        D. Florida Keys?

        E. Yellowstone?

        F. Eastern Kentucky?

Some of the providers being discussed are excellent in major metro
areas, but will have no coverage whatsoever in a National Park.
Sometimes it varies by plan; Verizon National service offers Broadband
Access Connect when roaming, Verizon America's choice does not.

I just got back from spring break as far as Key West, and had Broadband
access over my wife's phone the entire trip.  I even had coverage on a
boat on Sombrero Reef.  However, in parts of Ohio, and eastern Kentucky
I'd have no coverage.   What makes it worse, is none of the actual phone
company staff you talk to will have any clue as to what works and what
doesn't.

And if you are going off the beaten path, your fringe coverage can be
improved by external antennae, either omni-directional units like Wilson
Trucker's antenna, which work on the move, or uni-directional, if you
are sitting still and can aim.

There is an excellent Yahoo group "Internet by Cell Phone" which covers
the insane detail quite well.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd.