[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections1

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Tue Apr 21 10:33:38 EDT 2009

Yes.  Get a real phone or data card.  Real phone doesn't necessarily mean
real expensive.  STI Mobile and others work great until they cut you off for
tethering.  Too much hassle.

I use Boost Mobile's i285 phone and the unlimited data prepay plan with some
success.  It works well as long as I get a signal.  The signal is the
problem in Athens.  Boost mobile is a Sprint/Nextel MVNO.  I believe
Nextel's more speedy WiDEN network has been decommissioned.  I get about
19,200kbps on the regular iDEN network.  I strap the phone to my laptop with
velcro and a USB cable.  The cost is $0.35/day every day.  You can
disable/enable the web plan on their website.

I don't think Boost cares if you tether, since the most you'll sqeeze out of
it is 19.2kbps!  Too bad they no longer offer free incoming SMS.

It works pretty well with ssh'd into a screen session with mutt on the
remote host.  Actually, gmail works quite well over slow links, thanks to
AJAX, I guess.  Also, try using dillo for web browsing.  Beware, it skips
javascript and CSS.

YMMV,
Brian