[ale] there's Risk and there's Stupid

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 20 15:44:06 EDT 2009

The primary rule I was taught about lightening protection was that the
BEST method of grounding was to have a single grounding point for all of
the grounds in the facility (home, business, or whatever). It may
require three or more ground rods all interconnected to create an
adequate earthing, but all of them should be connected to the equipment
at one point. The Service entrance ground is generally recognized to be
the primary grounding electrode.

The reason for this is that the EMP that occurs when a lightening strike
occurs, propagates through the ground as a wave like a ripple in water.
If the equipment is connected to two independent grounds, there will be
a potential voltage differential between the grounds as the pulse
passes, and if the equipment is connected to two separate grounds, it
becomes part of a current carrying circuit. It will not survive.

This has worked for me in every case except one strike. That one hit a
tree about 15 feet from the service entrance.

Dan