[ale] Linux apparently illegal in MA

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Mon Apr 20 00:07:53 EDT 2009

>> To me, the Boston College incident was clearly a police state
>> action of illegal, unconstitutional search and seizure.
>>

> According to bc.edu (not some fancy dancy News source, ahem)
> "Boston College is a private, coeducational Jesuit university".
> Hmmm, a private institution.  What constitution covers search and
> seizure of college students on a private university?

You are right in regards to the security forces, but the Constitution applies to
the BCPD.  You see, they are not college Rent-A-Cops but MA state police.  If
they were just Rent-A-Cops, this would be a civil matter and they would not have
pursued or received a warrant from the court.  But the state police's first
priority (aside from their safety) is to protect and preserve the Constitutional
rights of the citizens and therefore the BCPD officers must adhere to the
Constitution.

OTOH, you are right that not every Constitutionally guaranteed right exists on
private property or in other private situations.  A prime example is that no one
has the 1st Amendment right on my private property.

IANAL, blah blah blah.

;c)

Cheers,
Robert~