[ale] HOW2 choose an organizer/phone ?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Sun Apr 19 22:31:27 EDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:22:07 -0400
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> The android is tied to google and google already has enough access to
> all data on everyone and everything on the planet as it is. Maybe I'm
> just getting paranoid but then maybe I'm not.
>
> My next phone will likely be the most basic phone I can find. I want
> it to dial and ring every time. That's the goal of a phone. I normally
> carry a small flip pad for notes and number anyway. I do like the
> camera but I want to get the picture off without sending it by email.

The upshot there is that you can view (nearly) all the source code for
a device, since Android is open source.  The only components that
aren't are hardware specific---typically, the drivers for the GSM
radio, though I assume that CDMA providers will probably also go the
route of not open-sourcing their radio drivers.

Also, I can say this for the HTC Dream (the hardware that is the G1 and
the ADP1):  It is _wonderfully_ durable against things like moisture.
There are even reports of it going into a washing machine by accident
and powered-on, and living to tell the tale the next day.  This is one
phone that can stand accidentally being dropped in water, or coffee, or
what have you.  Not that I would do this on purpose.

I've been very happy with it, though.  The interface is natural, and
the hardware is a dream (heh...) come true in terms of handheld
computing.

	--- Mike

--
I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them.
                            --- Isaac Asimov