[ale] Headless, Consoleless, DVDless, NetInstall? was: Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:38:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Kenneth Ratliff <lists at noctum.net> wrote:
> > If you could get them to boot it to knoppix and then setup your LVM
> > volumes from the commandline, I don't see why not. You'd just have to
> > be careful to get your config files right before you rebooted.
>
> 1. They won't do anything special for us. They won't boot of
> [your_idea_here]. They won't install [your_software_here]. They won't
> plug in [your_hardware_here].
> 2. If I ask them to do anything it is going to cost the same as a new
> server setup fee and take a week. I might as well have them do it all
> if I have them do anything.
>
> As far as paying for management... I fully agree. But, I'm playing the
> hand I've been dealt.
>
> I guess I could have focused the discussion better. Instead of saying
> I loosely understand kickstart, I should have asked if it is possible
> to remotely setup LVM on a RHEL4 box that you have no physical access
> to. That is really what is missing for me.
>
> I look forward to studying those 2 redhat.com kickstart links this
> weekend.
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!

Absolutely you can set up LVM on an already installed box remotely.  If
you've got ssh you can use the command line tools all you want pv*, vg*,
lv*.  It'd be difficult to get your / partition to be LVM if it wasn't
installed that way, but the other filesystems, or extending/manipulating
filesystems who are already LVM shouldn't be a problem.

-Scott