[ale] Headless, Consoleless, DVDless, NetInstall? was: Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:27:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> Wow, great responses! I haven't finished reading them all yet, but I
> want to get some additional info out there real quick. I WILL read
> every comment and study every topic/command/link. You are all much
> appreciated.
>
> 1. We have about 12 physical boxes out there.
> 2. We pay for RedHat support, have a bunch of licenses, and even
> though I prefer apt... that's the way it is.
> 3. When I came into this new decision making role we had no
> virtualization, no LVM. I chose [free] Xen because a) it _was_ the
> RedHat way, b) I have expertise on my team.
> 4. We don't have X installed on any of our servers and I plan to keep
> it that way.
> 5. The machines all have a public NIC that are firewalled to only be
> accessable from my company's network (except the web servers with wide
> open port 80/443)
> 6. The machines all have a private NIC that goes directly to a [rented
> (argh!)] Gigabit switch, using the 10.10 network.
> 7. My goal is to virtualize the whole pool. We have done 3 so far. We
> have got the process pretty slick, except for the part where we have
> to ask Peer1 to do anything. At this point the only thing we ever ask
> is "reinstall RHEL5 with LVM and volumes like..."
>
> I hope that helps. Thanks again!
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

Richard,

Just wanted to make a comment on Xen, RHEL 5 is still going to be supported
for another 5 years.  I have it on good authority that while RHEL 6 will
likely have KVM as it's hypervisor, it'll still support Xen VMs (at least
paravirt), but as RHEL 6 isn't released yet, all that is subject to
change...

If you wanted to get KVM experience pre RHEL6, it's in Fedora 10 and the now
in beta Fedora 11.

-Scott