[ale] OBS howto for your first project

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Fri Apr 17 12:37:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:39:15 -0400
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I assume AllTray has a open source license.  If so, you're good to go.

Ayup... GPLv3.  :)

The only thing I'll have to worry about is updated deps in the core
application---I've modernized it quite a bit and tried to make it so
that it doesn't rely on so many lower-level calls, since I don't see
the point of an application talking on several different layers of
abstraction for something that is supposed to be simple to begin
with.  :)

[snip lots of good info]
> As long as the questions are easy, you can ask me here.  Just put OBS
> in the start of the subject.  If they get hard you will need to join
> the obs mailing list.
>
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/

Thanks for the information and the pointer.  As I get closer to the
next stable release, I will look at using OBS to generate package for
other systems.  Though one of the things you said made me wonder: Do I
have to know how to use RPM's package specification to build RPMs?  Or
does OBS have an abstracted equivalent to things like Debian control
files and the like?

If the former, then it won't be as useful as I thought it would be; if
the latter, then it'd be _immensely_ useful, since packaging for the
various distributions would be taken care of by a single thing to
manage and not more than that.

	--- Mike

--
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.