[ale] Headless, Consoleless, DVDless, NetInstall? was: Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:50:18 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM, scott mcbrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we're linking docs, you might also check out:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html
> Which is the kickstart chapter of the RHEL5 install guide.

Thanks! Between the grub kickstart showing the anaconda option and a
solid kickstart doc set, that should cover all the bases (are belong
to US!).  The first time I saw the grub kickstart, I about flipped
out. Now if an activeX tool was used to overwrite the mbr with a grub
boot sector with pre-set linux install hitting a global Akamai server
setup that grabs user data and docs and recreates user logins but now
on a Linux installation....

BWAHAHAHA!!! Windows is performing a _system update_. Please stand by. BWAHAHA!

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You want to look at grub kickstart:
>> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/
>>
>> This let's you take an existing unsatisfactory install, edit some
>> stuff in grub.conf, add some boot up stuff and reboot and go to a vnc
>> installer connecting to your image server of choice to do a new
>> installation.
>>
>> Note: this is NOT a trivial thing. Mistakes create a dead box that
>> must be reimaged so make it work first on a machine you can reboot
>> yourself :-)
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Okay, I'm pretty impressed with the level of expertise I've seen. I
>> > figure I might as well try this pipe dream out on y'all.
>> >
>> > I have a bunch of servers hosted with Peer1 "Managed*" Hosting. They
>> > do not give console access, so installing my own OS, setting up LVM,
>> > etc. requires that I pay them to do it for me. Once I have them
>> > install said OS, I have full control over it, but only via SSH - no
>> > console. It sounds to me like, as I add servers I ought to be able to
>> > take their bulky default LAMP stack they give for free. Drop a few
>> > things in carefully chosen places. Reboot. Ideally, I'd like the
>> > install process to start sshd very early so that I can handle
>> > exceptions or install interactively. I [loosely] understand the
>> > kickstart concept, but since this is a server that I have no physical
>> > access to, I'd like SSH access early.
>> >
>> > Is this doable?
>> >
>> > * Managed = They try to reboot my server whenever they don't
>> > understand what I'm doing (Xen) with it.
>> >
>> > .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III