[ale] VPN Protocol Question

Dragon dragon at atlantacon.org
Wed Apr 15 15:43:20 EDT 2009

IPSec is normally hardware point to point but its the highest most
secure form of encryption due to the large number of encryption
algorithm choices.
the other option is SSL encryption, but is less secure and needs an ssl
certificate, even self signed works.

OpenVPN is a server type, pptp and l2tp are transport protocols, not
encryption protocols.
pptp is old school gre tunneling, and also one of the least secure. the
positive is its the most compatable.
l2tp or layer 2 tunneling protocol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L2TP )
works over standard udp packet types and tend to work from behind most
firewalls and nat devices for the client side with no additional
configuration.

Since you say this will be on a pfSense box as an end point, you will
probably have to set up OpenVpn on that system ( http://openvpn.net/ ).

Dragon