[ale] Basic Laptop for presentations question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:31:43 EDT 2009

There was a bug in network manager that affected dhcp with wireless
around Fedora 8/9ish early release time. RHEL backports a pile of this
stuff and they may have pulled down the buggered version. For a while
I could NOT connect to a wireless AP with dhcp AND "security key" of
any type. It just would sit and do nothing. System gets stupid and
flops between IP request and key presentation.

Currently have a CentOS 5.3 laptop but no wireless keys to test yet.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> scott mcbrien wrote:
>> Geoffrey,
>>
>> I see your problem.  To get the best desktop experience from RH, you
>> really do need to use GNOME.  It could be that they've added
>> network-manager-applet to also work in KDE, but it wouldn't surprise me
>> if it was GNOME only.
>
> I don't use GNOME or KDE, I use Enlightenment 17. That being said, does
> not the applet simply call the Red Hat configuration tool?
> (/usr/bin/system-config-network)
>
>> Also, if you're not using any kind of interactive
>> app, and your network is WPA encrypted, that could be a problem.  The
>> network-script file for your interface supports WEP encryption being
>> specified with the KEY setting, but I don't know the wpa-supplicant
>> magic for sending the authentication password data via a script or
>> commandline.
>
> I've tried WEP and WPA, under Red Hat, still no good.  Understand, this
> is when trying to get it to retrieve an ip via dhcp.  If I set it up as
> static, it does work fine.
>
>> If your wireless network is encrypted and you're not providing any
>> authentication information, that would also explain the issue.  I've
>> seen this behavior before when I've forgotten to put the WEP key in my
>> network-script or if it's been changed on the access point and I've not
>> updated my settings.
>
> Again, the issue I'm speaking to is specifically trying to get a dhcp
> connection via wireless.  Static ip works fine via wireless.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III