[ale] VPN Protocol Question

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:22:16 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I'd like to be able to securely connect to my home network while at school or elsewhere, and be able to tunnel all network traffic from the client to the server (http, dns, ssh, etc).

While looking up VPN options, I see that there are three general options: IPSec, OpenVPN, and PPTP. After doing a bit of reading, I am still not sure which one I should be using. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Some details:
The VPN server will be on a pfSense box that also does the following: router, firewall, DHCP server, and DNSmasq.
The VPN server will have a "real" IP address (ie: no NAT), but as I client I expect to be on networks using NAT at least some of the time. If I am understanding the protocols, I believe this rules out IPSec. Is this true?

Andrew

--
OpenPGP Key ID: 6D2B8CE2 (agrieser at gmail.com)