[ale] Grrr Nvidia

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Apr 14 09:38:28 EDT 2009

It must be desktop related.
I'm running the 180 drivers on several 64 bit machines running openSUSE 11 and 11.1 with KDE 3.5.10 without any problems that I've noticed.
The one notebook running the latest ATI driver is a whole 'nuther story....
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> 4/14/2009 09:07 AM >>>
So, I am running Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit.  I tried the 180 nvidia beta a
while back and it worked fairly well, with the exception of my screen
randomly blacking out(X dying).  I recently got a notification that 180
was out of beta so I thought I would give it another try.  Several days
into using it has been great.  Well a few minutes ago X died again and I
lost all my work.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a resolution for it? a config
setting or something?

My delima: run 180 vnvidia driver and ridk my work being, but have a
GREAT desktop experience or, run 173 nvidia driver and get poor
peformance in browsers etc...

I would love to stick with 180 if I can assure the X dying issue doesn't
continue.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Robert