[ale] Can't use public IP on local network

Mon Apr 13 14:00:08 EDT 2009

The reason I ask is that you can have your DHCP clients tell [a
decent] router what name they prefer and other hosts on the network
can reach them via this name.
http://www.google.com/search?q=dhcp+%2B%22send+host-name%22 Despite
the fact that most people inquire about this for statically assigned
DHCP -- It works just as well for automatic DHCP. (As in, for a dev
box under your desk at your employer who refuses to grant you a static
IP.)

I see that you mention VirtualHosts. The weakness here is that each
"machine" [interface/IP] can only be known by one name. Therefore,
this does not help you with "name based virtual hosts" (VirtualHost
*:80; ServerName myhost.mydomain) if you have multiple ServerNames
that you would like to go to a single IP. For that you will need to
use /etc/hosts (yuck!) or a caching DNS (several late nights to setup
for mortals). However, since you are doing this via NAT... You have
all the IP addresses you could ever need, right? You could give each
ServerName its own virtual interface (eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.). Then have
each virtual interface "send host-name" (see link above)
appropriately. I just prefer to avoid maintaining /etc/hosts on
multiple hosts.

*I believe* that /etc/hosts is for name resolution that is unique the
the client on which the /etc/hosts file resides (read: not common to
the rest of the network). When you have a name resolution need that
should apply to all/many clients, it should be maintained in some
centralized manner. /me steps down from soapbox

PS, Isn't it great to have a unique (read: available .com) lastname?

.!# RichardBronosky #!.