[ale] VPN through NAT firewall

Sean C. McCord scmlist at cycoresys.com
Sat Apr 11 19:18:47 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:34:57AM -0400, Devnull wrote:
>Hi ALErs, I have been wanting to put a VPN on my home network. I have
>the dreaded WRT54GS v6.0 linksys WAP/router, with 2MB flash (curse you
>linksys). Because of this, I have to use the micro build of dd-wrt,
>which does not have the VPN server. I have this box between my cable
>modem and the rest of the network, with my main server (HTTP, NFS,
>etc) sitting behind via wireless. I want to install a VPN server on
>this server, and pass through the NAT'd firewall with appropriate port
>forwards. From what I have heard, openswan is the VPN server I'd like
>to use, as I have Windows clients (eek). Does anyone have experience
>or reasons why I shouldn't do this? Thanks a lot.

I don't believe you'll be fitting any VPN software on that.  All the
libssl's I've seen are just too big.

I'd spend the money and get a decent router; then run OpenWRT[a] with
OpenVPN[b].  Windows is well supported[c], and setup is a breeze[d].

For a decent router, take a look at:
http://www.myopenrouter.com  (Netgear WGR614L)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122223&Tpk=wgr614l

Also, I know Fry's carries them.