[ale] skipping/bypassing print dialog

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Apr 8 21:14:41 EDT 2009

Mike Harrison wrote:
> For a special purpose "kiosk" running Ubuntu (8.10) { actually Eeebuntu
> on an Asus Eee Top }  - I would like to disable the print dialog box.
> It prints what are essentially receipts, and does that well.
> But having to click [Print] the second time from the printer dialog box
> seems to be a redundant step in this special case.
>
> I've been googling, check cups.org.. looked at the config files
> on the system.. I just don't know much about printing from Linux.
> I rarely do it it, and it "just works" when I do need it, my former
> education in print.conf and lpd seems to have vanished.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not a matter of printing
in linux, it's a matter of telling Firefox "Dont run the print dialog
code when i hit print, just print it already!"

I got the following from the first result on Google for firefox skip
print dialog

In Firefox, browse to about:config

Right click in the preferences, select new, then select boolean.

When prompted for a preference, name, enter print.always_print_silent

When prompted for a value, choose true,

IT worked for me with firefox 3.0.8

--
All the best,