[ale] [OT] Unlocked GSM phone

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 3 08:02:09 EDT 2009

My niece did that about a year or so ago.  AT&T was telling her she'd
have to sign a new contract to get a replacement and instead she bought
one of the prepaid plan phones and simply moved her sim into it and it
worked.

P.S. Whoever it was that commented about Sprint and transferring
numbers.  That's not unique - The FCC requires number portability now.
Of course being phone companies they do play games with the rules.
They'll tell you that it doesn't cover prepaid plans.  Also if you're on
a family plan they'll tell you only the primary number is portable.