[ale] Wow, Ubuntu...

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Sep 30 17:56:49 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Curious why you didn't go to latest Fedora if you were already using
> Fedora?  Given the short lifetime for Fedora releases there is hardly
> likely to be anything "more modern" than the latest Fedora release.

No particular compelling reason. I'd just heard a lot of good
stuff about Ubuntu and wanted to give it another try.

I'm pretty happy so far.  apt-get is very nice.  I realized my
MB actually did *not* have integrated sound, so the failure
of the OS to detect and configure it should not have been
surprising :-)  I picked up an inexpensive soundcard (SB Live
USB) and it just worked.

Only actual problem so far: my VNC-exported desktop stopped
accepting connections for no apparent reason, and I haven't
been able to figure out why or restart the VNC server (after
10 minutes of trying).  Other than this one issue, I like
Ubuntu's (or is it Gnome's?) remote desktop functionality: it
exports the machine's hardware desktop via RFB, unlike normal
VNC which usually exports a completely separate virtual desktop
on Unix platforms. Makes me wonder if the Xorg server has
integrated RFB support?

> By the way Redhat/Fedora/CentOS let you do the RAID/LVM setup during
> install or not as you choose.   Why would Ubuntu require a separate CD
> for that?

Probably just to avoid hassling new users with irrelevant detail.
The Ubuntu installer is very simple; it requires very little
input from the user.

-- JK