[ale] Wow, Ubuntu...

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Sep 22 19:35:08 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I had this fileserver machine running FC2.9, and I needed to do
some development on it, and ended up having to upgrade ten
bazillion things. After upgrading five or six packages manually,
I decided "this sux, and I should just move to a more modern
distro".  So I BT'd the Ubuntu 8.1 Desktop ISO and installed it.
This is my second Ubuntu install, but the first one was quite
a while back and got replaced with Slack a few days later for
some reason that I can't recall.

I'm very impressed so far.  Not only did I not have to fiddle
with anything in order to get full Internet connectivity and
a hi-res X desktop, but I found, to my amazement, that practically
any command I issue either just works, or else gives me a nice
informative message like: "xemacs isn't installed, but you can
install it with sudo apt-get install xemacs".

Only issue so far is that the AC97 sound on the mobo isn't
working. The "volume" applet claims something like "no
adjustable device was found".

Oh wait, two issues: the "Desktop" installer won't let me
set up any kind of RAID during the install.  I suspect maybe
Ubuntu "Server" would allow it?  I kinda wanted to use my
existing RAID-0 setup and preserve /home, but I ended up
nuking one of the drives in the array for Ubuntu.  No big
loss, everything important is backed up.

This was certainly the simplest and most enjoyable install
of my Linux career.

Anyhoo... just sharing,

-- JK