[ale] Server Hardware

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:01:24 EDT 2008

Hi Jimmy!

User access will only be issue #2. Issue #1 will be bandwidth. Or more
correctly, lack. Better plan on multiple (10-30+) access points. The
suggestions of coova are very valid. Placement becomes a challenge with a
large number of WAPs installed as well. They must be close enough to the use
points but far enough apart that the connection doesn't flip-flop is the
user shifts in their chair all while being close enough to have good signal
everywhere. Signal strength is a big factor in user bandwidth. Sharing a 10
Mb pipe with 20 people surfing youtube would painfully slow.

2008/9/21 jimmy halbert <jimmy_halbert at yahoo.com>

> I am looking for a open source wireless networking solution. I have an
> organization that is going to have 450 wireless users of which half of these
> users will be online at a time. I am looking for a solution to control the
> access points, and provide some measure of security. Any suggested would be
> helpful. I have looked at Aruba,Foundry and IronPoint...all of these
> solutions are way out of budget.

James P. Kinney III