[ale] Backup strategies

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Sep 12 16:03:33 EDT 2008

Pat Regan wrote:
> The cheapest loader I can find from Dell is a 114T with 1 DAT72 drive
> for $866.  That's only 36 gig uncompressed.  The price goes up about 400
> bucks to switch that to LTO-2 to give you 200 gig uncompressed.  You
> might also need to spring for a scsi controller and cable, of course.
> In this case that would be a pretty good size percentage of the cost as
> well.
>
> If you're a smaller IT shop that might be a pretty big expense.
> Especially if you have to do work to move tapes off-site every day.

This is something I live with and it hits a nerve.   I've dealt with
people "too cheap" to purchase a full replicated clone of their server
for use when their's
die.   During training I inform them that if their server dies then it
can be 2-3 business days for use to replace their hardware, IF we have
it in stock.  We don't stock much.  Normally I don't care but in this
case, they are selling their customers a service.

How would you feel if you found out the company providing you a service had
no way to come back online for a few days after a major failure.  IMO,
they are selling a service and uptime but not backing it.  Happens all
the time.  We call it gambling.

Next, when their server goes by, it is my job to somehow magically fix
it.  Now had they "invested" in a clone, they simply tell the clone to
take over.  5 minutes of down-time max.

That data we back up is so small, we can do it on DVD and in some cases
CD.  We even move it to servers at QTS.  I can't talk much about the
current state tape drive technology but the idea is the same.

Take an inventory of your data.  Calculate what the value of that data
is,  Calculate what the cost would be for loss.  When you have those
numbers, sit down with the decision maker in your organization and
formulate a *budget* for hardware that can prevent the spending of the
dollars you just calculated.

It is hard to justify backup system expenses because unlink a network
switch, they do not immediately show a change or an effect to the
organization.  Tape drives are there to show what they can offer when
needed in a pinch.  Its like insurance and a policy is only worth what
or who is backing it.