[ale] Backup strategies

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Sep 12 13:51:23 EDT 2008

Chris Kleeschulte wrote:

> I am not crazy about using tapes or having a service come and gather
> the tapes.

Why are people so against tapes?  It is cost?  Is it sequential access
to data?
It has been a long time since I used tapes.  The primary reason, is that
I just don't have that much data to backup.    If I did, I would be
combing the Internet looking for a tap solution that could hold that
much data.   In the past I've been served well by the QIC-20, 1/4" cart,
and 4GB DAT tapes.  We rotated them properly, cleaned the heads, and
even validated the tapes after being written.

a tape drive and a service is an excellent idea.   You can't trust the
service to be
secure with your tapes so encrypt the data.

--
Chris Fowler
OutPost Sentinel, LLC
Support @ SIP/support at pbx.opsdc.com