[ale] OT connect two linksys routers together

jtholmes linux at jtholmes.com
Thu Sep 11 17:10:00 EDT 2008

I have a WRT54GS2 (Router 1) and a WRT54G2 (router 2)

Cisco says I cannot do the following

Connect Internet port Router 2 to Port 1-4 on Router 1
and expect to pull a DHCP address from Router 1

Router 2 settings
Dhcp auto config set
Router ip addr  192.168.1.2
Disabled DHCP

Router 1 works fine and has for years

With a PC plugged into  Port 1 of Router 2 and
Router 2 Internet Port connected to
Router 1 port 1, the PC will not pull
a DHCP address from Router 1.

If I plug a cable into port 1 of Router 1
and plug the other end of that cable into
port 4 on Router 2 and the PC is still connected
to Router 2 port 1, the PC pulls an address
and things work fine.

Am I crazy or is Cisco right, I cannot connect
Router 2 to Router 1 using the Internet Port
on ROuter 2 and expect to pull DHCP addresses
from Router 1 when DHCP on Router 2 is disabled.

In other words I want to basically use Router 2
as a Pass thru.

Any info would be appreciated.
jt