[ale] IDE_SCSI error

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Sep 10 17:46:07 EDT 2008

With 2.6 kernels all the drives show up as sdX whereas in 2.4 kernels
the IDE would show up as hdX and the SCSI would show up as sdX.

Maybe IDE_SCSI is telling you it is IDE drives showing up as sdX?

RHEL through RHEL3 was 2.4.x kernel.
RHEL from RHEL4 on is 2.6.x kernel.

Run "kudzu -p" to see what it has to say about hardware.   Doesn't give
exact details but may provide some clues on the disks as well as hard
drive controller.

Run "lspci" to see if it gives any more information on the controllers
as well.

Have a look at /var/log/messages.

Also run dmesg to see what kind of messages it has.  (Just remember
these may not be recent - could be as old as last boot.)

The expected but got message makes it sound like you're having either a
disk issue or a controller issue.