[ale] bandwidth competition (changing the subject)

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Sep 9 06:41:52 EDT 2008

Pete Hardie wrote:

> Sounds like the idea of the muni installing and paying for teh fiber
> with tax money, and franchising the connections.
>
> Still more OT rant - my DSL was slow this evening.  12.5 Kbps slow.
>
> I call the DSL service line, and ask if there is any issue - no, no
> issue.  So I ask for a speed test, and the phone idiot starts to give
> me flack about
> the router I have.  SO I terminate the call, and behold, my speed
> tests start running at 1.4 Mbps again....
>
> I hate when they start to make me run useless tests on my equipment
> BEFORE they run a simple test on their stuff.

Sounds like the AT&T of old.  In the '70s I worked in a data center that
purchased leased lines from Ma Bell.  We had AT&T modems, AT&T lines and
AT&T connection blocks.  If we had a problem we called one vendor.  It
was pretty nice, cause if we pumped data into one end and it didn't come
out the other, it was one phone call to get it fixed.  However they
never, and I mean NEVER fixed anything.  When a line went out, we
called, they checked and said they couldn't find anything wrong.  Sure
enough, the line was fine after that.  I guess their testing cleaned the
cobwebs out.

Jim.