[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Sep 8 20:38:47 EDT 2008

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I'm torn as to what to do next.. My wife switched to Verizon, to get a
> cool LG Voyager phone with full qwerty keyboard, so she can text our
> kids.. She paid the early termination fee for AT&T.

I have had no reason to switch carriers, so I have no experience with
this, but...  I understand it is supposed to be pretty easy to get the
carrier to cancel you so you don't have to pay the termination fee.  The
easiest way I have heard is to make use a ton of roaming minutes.

I don't know how easy that is to do with Verizon or ATT, but I quite
often find myself on someone else's network than T-Mobile.

> 	anyone else have a phone that is a linux appliance with a full qwerty
> keyboard?? suggestions??

It isn't a linux based phone, but I picked up a GSM Palm Treo 650 last
year for about 130 bucks.  I don't think PalmOS is for everyone anymore,
and it sure is less stable than it used to be.  But I have a bunch of
awesome free software for PalmOS that I'd hate to have to live without.

It likes to crash on me about once per week, maybe, I've never logged it
or anything.  So stability is a bit of a problem, but application
availability is awesome.  The only unfortunate thing is that PalmOS can
easily be crashed by a poorly written app.

For me, though, a Palm phone with a keyboard plus Chatteremail, GNU
Keyring, and Timesheet is insanely useful.  Chatteremail supports the
IMAP idle command which means you'll pull your email from your IMAP
account as soon as it arrives.

Pat