[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sun Sep 7 09:15:49 EDT 2008

Calling Comcast a monopoly is definitely incorrect in the legal sense of
that word.   As others have pointed out you do have other options for
internet for most people.  The argument that they are a monopoly on
their wires is a little specious to me.   In the areas where you have no
other options you could contact your local "franchising" authority
(city, county etc...) and see if you couldn't encourage them to make
Comcast exempt your area as a condition of the franchise.

The problem with such misstatements is they make you lose credibility in
the rest of your argument.  If you're willing to skew the truth to
support your point of view then any "facts" you present may be viewed
suspiciously.

I think many of us are in agreement that the solution to bandwidth
saturation should involve increasing the pipe rather than throttling
usage but we can be annoyed at Comcast for choosing the latter without
having to introduce easily challenged arguments into the discussion.