[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 02:22:10 EDT 2008

Comcast paid to have the wires put in place. They get to decide who
uses them. That doesn't make them a monopoly in regard to internet
service; which is what this thread is about. If you don't like the
fact that only Comcast provides cable internet access in your area,
and want to use cable for internet access, ask another company to run
some wires in your area. If they can't do it because of a contract
between your local government and Comcast, then you need to complain
to your local government. Or do something about it yourself.

Listen, I'm not trying to stand up for Comcast here. By all accounts,
that I have read, they are a despicable company. But being a horrible
company doesn't give them a monopoly on providing internet service.
You have who knows how many dial-up companies, several different DSL
companies, and a couple satellite providers from which to choose. And,
if you are in the right part of the country, you also have fiber
services and possibly (in the future) BPL[1] available.

Maybe you don't like most of those options. But they _are_ options.

[1] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication#Internet_access_.28broadband_over_powerlines.2C_BPL.29

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/