[ale] video woes

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 15:32:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to use an LCD monitor connected to my laptop and am having
difficulty getting the resolution to set properly. I'm running OpenSuse 10.2
on a Dell Lattitude D810. The external monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 930b.

I configured the monitor via SaX as a 920T because 930b wasn't in the list and
this seemed like the closest fit. Seems to produce a reasonable image.
However, the resolution in SaX is 1600x1024 but the desktop is stuck at
1280x800, and 1600x1024 isn't even an option in the drop-down for
'<right-click> / Configure Desktop / Display'.

Any ideas about how I can fix this? (yes, I rebooted after configuring the
monitor; twice). Do I need to disable the laptop monitor somehow?

--
Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? - Abraham Lincoln