[ale] Anybody writing chemical equations in OpenOffice?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:43:56 EDT 2008

OO doesn't have the "exact" double-headed arrow (the double horizontal bar
with half head on either end) And you can't add the double ended arrow in
equation editor. Do the left side, exit eq ed, insert-> special->symbol, do
the right half.

Or look at http://www.texmacs.org/

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Thompson Freeman <
tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> Since I'm embedded in an organization which uses MS Office, and have
> some need to exchange documents, I'd prefer to stick to the
> OpenOffice.org approach for now. At least with the portible apps which
> somebody here suggested, I can drag OpenOffice in and use it on the
> school's XP & Vista collection.
>
> On 09/04/2008 03:22:13 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> > Unless you are adamant about using OpenOffice, I highly suggest
> > learning LaTeX. It is MUCH easier to write such documents. Take a
> > look
> > at the output[1] and the source[2] for my final lab report for the
> > class I took this past summer (note: the last large table was
> > compiled
> > with calc2latex [3]).
> >
> > [1] -- http://student.claytonstate.net/~jsumners/chem/Report.pdf<http://student.claytonstate.net/%7Ejsumners/chem/Report.pdf>
> > [2] -- http://student.claytonstate.net/~jsumners/chem/Report.tex<http://student.claytonstate.net/%7Ejsumners/chem/Report.tex>
> > [3] -- http://calc2latex.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Thompson Freeman
> > <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I thank the list for the help earlier regrading getting OpenOffice
> > > create some chemical symbols. The technique does require going into
> > the
> > > math equation editor, but it isn't all that horrid.
> > >
> > > I think I have the current level of processing under control, which
> > is
> > > creating full chemical equations for my students. But these are
> > simple,
> > > non-equilibrium equations, so I'm looking for the techniques needed
> > > go forward. Yes, I'm wandering around Google, but it would really
> > be
> > > help if I found somebody who uses OpenOffice to create chemically
> > > oriented documents to ask questions of.
> > >
> > > Anybody on this list doing this type of writing??
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> <<space saving snip>>

James P. Kinney III