[ale] Need a new MB, recommendations?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Oct 30 16:28:19 EDT 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Do you really need IDE connectors and PCI slots?
>
> They are slowly becoming dinosaurs I believe.  Still easy to find, but
> manufacturers are moving slowly away from both.
>
> You can get SATA based DVDs and linux has been supporting them pretty
> well for a year or two, so as long as you don't want to run an old
> kernel you should be fine.
>
> Not sure why you want PCI slots.  If I was building something new, I
> would go pure PCI-express if I could.
>
> Greg

I'm not building something new.  I'm trying to replace the motherboard,
reusing as much of what I already have.  While I could spend $$ on new
drives I have a bank of IDE drives I don't want to replace at this
time.  I'm using a PCI IDE controller to drive them.  I know there are
SATA DVDs but again, I really want to use what I've got.  Money is a
little tight right now.  My major client has stopped paying me.  I'm
scrambling to make up that shortfall in addition to finding my
investments are no longer spitting out enough cash to keep me in the
manner I'm accustomed. ;)

Jim.