[ale] Network Performance Gurus - Question about Ubuntu based NAS

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:02:31 EDT 2008

Greg,

I don't see 2 NICs anywhere. I see two hard drives and two USB but no
listing of dual NICs. I pulled the spec sheet (pdf:
http://www.netgear.com/PopUps/RelatedDocument.aspx?DocumentDownloaded=ReadyNAS_Duo_DS_24June08%20pdf&DocumentDownloadedSrc=/upload/product/rnd2000/readynas_duo_ds_24june08.pdf&hasSfID=False&itemID={7F363E0D-9AA7-49FA-987D-78AF5D7210A3}&documentTitle=Data%20Sheet )

No listing of dual NICs in this:

General

      * ReadyNAS Duo Network Attached Storage Device
      * 2 Serial ATA channels
      * Compatible with SATA and SATA II HDD
      * Hot swappable and lockable trays
      * 10/100/1000 Ethernet
      * 3 USB 2.0 ports
      * 256 MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM SO-DIMM
      * Embedded 64 MB flash memory for OS
      * Supports Windows, Mac, Linux/UNIX Clients
      * Setup wizard and easy browser-based interface
      * NETGEAR Auto-Expandable X-RAID™

Volume Management

      * Journaled file system
      * User, group, and share-level quotas
      * Drive set can be removed and migrated to ReadyNAS NV+ or 1100

Network File Services

      * CIFS/SMB for Windows®
      * AFP 3.1 for Mac OS 9/X
      * NFS v2 / v3 for Linux and UNIX
      * HTTP/S for web browsers
      * FTP/S support
      * RSYNC

Media Streaming

      * DLNA Compatible UPnP AV
      * Logitech SqueezeboxTM
      * Sonos Digital Music Center
      * Network DVD player compatible
      * Windows MCE compatible
      * Sony Playstation 3
      * Microsoft Xbox 360

Network Security

      * Encrypted network logins
      * Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

Network Options

      * DHCP or static IP
      * NTP

System Management

      * Performance options
      * Device status
      * Email alerts and event logs
      * Command Line SSH access

Backup

      * Integrated Backup Manager
      * Programmable backup button
      * Backup to/from CIFS/NFS/FTP/HTTP
      * Backup to/from USB disks
      * Bundled backup software: NTI Shadow for ReadyNAS for Windows and
        Macintosh

USB Device Support

      * USB HDD and flash drives
      * Printers
      * UPS monitoring and auto shutdown

Languages

      * Management UI: English, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, and
        Korean
      * File Name: Unicode

Electrical

      * 12V, 5A power adapter, localized to country of sale
      * Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60 Hz
      * Power consumption: 35W typical (with 2 x 500 GB disks)
      * Power-saving mode

Thermal

      * 60 mm ball-bearing chassis cooling fan
      * Fan failure alert
      * High temperature email alert with auto-shutdown option

Environmental Specifications

      * 0° - 95° F
      * 20% - 80% Humidity (non-condensing)
      * FCC, UL, CE, C-tick, IC, RoHS compliance

Physical Specifications

      * Kensington® lock security hole
      * Dimension: h x w x d 142 x 101 x 222 mm (5.60 x 3.98 x 8.70 in)
      * Weight: 2.07 kg/4.56 lb without disks

Package Contents

      * ReadyNAS Duo
      * 2 hard disk trays
      * Quick Installation Guide
      * Warranty card
      * Power adapter
      * Power cable
      * Ethernet cable
      * ReadyNAS Installation CD
      * ReadyNAS Discovery Utility
      * NTI Shadow for ReadyNAS for Windows and Macintosh

Available Configurations

      * RND2150 – 1 x 500 GB HDD
      * RND2175 – 1 x 750 GB HDD
      * RND2110 – 1 x 1000 GB HDD