[ale] Need a new MB, recommendations?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Oct 30 09:13:41 EDT 2008

I upgraded my Centos 5 system via yum the other day and when I went to
boot, it stopped during post.  It stopped while outputing the line that
says something to the effect "press delete for bios, press F12 for boot
menu ESC for quick boot".  It stopped everytime after printing the ES on
ESC.

No beeps.  I powered it off, reseated the cards and memory and tried to
get it to play.  Nogo.  After fiddling with it a while, I unplugged the
usb connector from my usb KVM and plugged in a usb keyboard directly.
It booted fine.  Once I'm running Centos, I can plug the KVM back in and
all works fine, but the bios has lost the ability to communicate with
the keyboard.  I check that the USB keyboard in the bios was enabled.

Anyway, this POS ECS motherboard has already lost 2 SATA ports.  They
just stopped working.  I now need to replace this thing but don't want
to have to build something from scratch.

I've looked at a number of mother boards but haven't found one that
really fits.  I need something with the following specs:

4 DDR2 ram slots 800 mhz
LGA775 intel processor support
onboard audio
either an onboard lan supported by Linux or a PCI slot
Support for a PCI-E graphic card
At least one IDE port for the DVD drive
a couple of PCI slots

Does anyone have suggestions as to what might work?  Also if anyone
knows of a site that has an easy to read list of motherboards and their
specs?

Thanks,
Jim.