[ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

Shane McKinley shane at hemc.coop
Wed Oct 29 17:32:28 EDT 2008

You have learned much grasshopper.

-----Original Message-----
From: JK [mailto:jknapka at kneuro.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:54 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.  To summarize (and please correct
me if I'm wrong):

* A better-quality case and PS would be worth paying extra for. Thinking
back on some *bad* cases I've had to deal with, I can definitely see the
point here...

* WD may not be the best choice for HD, though some people like them
just fine.  Hardly anyone seems to complain about Seagate, though.
(Aren't they part of the same company now?)

* Don't forget a DVD drive :-p

* RAM timings may end up degraded due to quirks of the MB/CPU/RAM
combination; I might consider spending less on slower RAM.

* I probably can't use ESX.  This doesn't bother me much, since I'm a
total virtualization noob, and it seems as if getting hardware usable
for ESX is going to involve a lot more $$$ than I want to spend.

* Nonetheless, Xen, too, has hardware limitations, so I may need to
change motherboard based on chipset support.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov