[ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:31:33 EDT 2008

I would be VERY careful about following newegg's specs. Goto Gigabyte's site
and look at the supported memory for that mobo. Like in this case, newegg
says 1066, but there is a disclaimer on Gigabytes page for this mobo saying:

DDR2 1066 is supported with combination of AM2+ processors and DDR2 1066
memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support
information.
And then if you goto the supported memory pdf:
"Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per
channel". There is a very small list of supported 1066 memory, and the rest
are downgraded to DDR 800 =/

As far as it making a difference, I've heard what Shane has: that it's best
to match the FSB, although I have absolutely nothing to support this
conclusion. I would also recommend the Cooler Master case that Shane linked
to, I've bought 3 of them for my brother's computers. As for power supply, I
wouldn't use one that came with the case (or one that costs $20, sorry
Shane). I've always stuck with PC Power and Cooling and haven't had a
problem. Of course, I've never had a problem with WD hdd's, so maybe I'm
just lucky :)
-Steve