[ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

Kenneth Price neth.price at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:42:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> HD      $ 55   Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM
> >> SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
> >
> > Argh.  Might not be a popular opinion since a bunch of people seem to
> love
> > Western Digital, but I've had nothing but problems with their desktop
> drives
> > over the last 10 years, and I'm talking over 150 workstations - OEM and
> self
> > built.  That also includes this particular drive.  Out of 20 of these in
> > server RAID array, I've had 8 that have needed replacing.  I recommend
> the
> > following.  I've been using 10 of these for the last 10 months without
> any
> > issue.
> >
> > Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250620NS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
> Hard
> > Drive - OEM
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148155
> >

> And I've had a high failure rate with the 500GB drive in that same
> line.  At this point I suspect my problem may have been poor cooling.
>
> These new high density Sata drives seem to be very sensitive to PSU
> issues, and the need active cooling (ie. fans).  In the past we could
> just leave a drive in the lab exposed to the ambient air and we were
> fine.

Yeah, I've heard the same, but we also have 10 of the 500GB ES drives which
are running brilliantly.  Course, in both scenarios, they're in these (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152094) cases, in a
temperature controlled data center.  They run cool and without errors 24x7.
Maybe it's me.  I just seem to have bad juju with WD drives.  :-(

-Ken