[ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Oct 28 13:23:32 EDT 2008

[Marked OT because not directly Linux-relevant, although
Linux will certainly be run on this machine.]

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting together a machine to run some
virtualized servers (maybe under Xen, maybe VMWare, maybe
something else; haven't decided yet).  I've put together
a parts list for a 2.3Ghz quad-core Phenom/8GB RAM/250GB HD
machine from newegg.com, totalling $465.  Does that seem
reasonable, or am I (a) paying too much for something, or
(b) lowballing something critical?  I'm especially concerned
about cooling; I've actually never built a machine before
where heat dissipation was at all an issue, and cheap stock
fans have always worked fine for me. I suspect that won't
be the case with a CPU that draws 165W. (At least I won't
have to run my heater as much this winter.)

I'd like to be able to run four virtual machines each
equivalent to perhaps a 500Mhz P3 with 1GB RAM or thereabouts.
Exact performance is negotiable.

Here's the list. I may invest in another HD for RAID,
but for now I'm trying to stay under $500:

MB      $ 85   GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD
Motherboard (this board has 4 DDR2 slots and accepts up to 16GB)

CPU     $120   AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core
Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX - Retail

RAM     $130   2 x OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK -
Retail ($65 per 2x2GB kit)

Fan     $ 40   COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU
Cooler - Retail (or comparable)

Case    $ 35   Linkworld 3230-18 c2228u Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case 430W Power Supply - Retail (Is 430W sufficient for
this rig? The CPU draws 165W alone, but I think it's the most
power-hungry component.)

HD      $ 55   Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM
SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
         $465

Any opinions appreciated.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov