[ale] DSL providers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:27:30 EDT 2008

I panicked when I found out that Speakeasy had been bought by Best Buy.
However it's been about a year and the service has still been outstanding.
It is not as low cost as you _can_ find doing some shopping but if you want
DSL that is (damn near) always working (less than 4 hours down in 4 years =
99.9998% uptime) and rock solid tech support (they answer the phone AND
speak an identifiable language AND FIX THE PROBLEM!!!) I can't recommend
them enough. Happyhappyhappyhappy!!

I can get 10Mb down and 1_Mb up from my location. I ordered 8M/768k and my
DSL reports says it's spot on.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> I last asked this around two years or so ago but this time I actually
> *am* going to get DSL.  I've finally found that providers actually service
> my area (previously there was some kind of problem with my apartment
> building's contract).
>
> Anyway: what is the best provider given that I'm mostly using Linux
> and don't have an XP box?  I read about problems people have had with AT&T
> not providing logins and passwords and making people run Windows software
> to get it.  And which provider is least likely to demand that I boot into
> Windows before they will fix problems?
>
> Also, what DSL modem/router can I get that works with Linux?  I really
> don't want to get the one provided by a provider; for one thing they come
> with contracts that lock people into the provider for a year.  I do not
> have an Ethernet card (though I certainly could buy one).

James P. Kinney III