[ale] Pulseaudio on Fedora 9

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 16:29:54 EDT 2008

I have just submitted the following to the Fedora Forum and have
submitted a similar email to the PulseAudio (PA) list. If anyone could
tell me anything, I would be forever grateful.

I've been having problems with PulseAudio intermittently crashing while
playing Rhythmbox. Sometimes I could go a whole day without incident and
other times I would have to either log out and back in again or just
restart pulseaudio as many as 4 times. I went to the pulseaudio site for
assistance and someone suggested compiling and installing from git, that
he had a similar issue and that seemed to have straightened it out.

I went through the ritual of configuring, compiling and installing. I
had forgotten to uninstall the fedora version, which once I did I got
audio back. Rhythmbox seems to be running ok, but I'm questioning
whether PA is actually running. Below is a list of what seems to be
happening:

1. When I first log in after booting, their isn't any system sound
played after log in.

2. If I open "Sound Preferences" (System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound)
the drop down choices for each device or function no longer has pulse
audio and test will fail. However, I can go to the Sound tab and play
each system sound fine. If I start this GUI from xterm:
"gnome-sound-properties" and then hit test for Sound Playback, I'll get;

sound-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'audiotestsrc wave=sine
freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink': Resource not
found. [gstjackaudiosink.c(427): gst_jack_ring_buffer_open_device ():
/autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-jackaudio:
Cannot connect to the Jack server (status 17)]

and then other times I'll get the expected tone.

3. From the xterm I'll get the following from "pulseaudio --version";

I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was
requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant
us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the
appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or
increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
W: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but not
allowed by policy.
pulseaudio 0.9.13

I have been in contact with the PA list, but not really getting
anywhere. Can anyone tell me if PA is actually working and why the delay
start on login?