[ale] Firefox Keeps Freezing After Flash Upgrade

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:28:04 EDT 2008

---
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

> ---
> Marc F.
>
> "..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
> -Rev1:4
>

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> This seems really similar to an issue I had recently.  Depending on what
>>> version of Firefox you are using there is a known bug for version 3.0.1
>>> (maybe others?) and windowless mode SWF files.  For me my browser would
>>> crash anytime I went to a site that had flash ads, such as
>>> wunderground.com or cnn.com.
>>>
>>> I am not necessarily saying that your issue is the same but it might be
>>> worth an investigation.  Basically in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg (create it if
>>> you don't have one) you set "WindowlessDisable = 1"
>>>
>>> Here is the page that talks about the bug:
>>> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/08/windowless_mode_fix.html
>>>
>>> Joey
>>>

>> Thanks Joey.  I'll give it a try when I get home today.
>>

> I didn't find that file on my system.  I then went to #fedora to ask and
> they lead me to this site,
> http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/flash/?searchterm=flash.  As of
> date I haven't fixed the problem yet and I'm even more confused now than
> ever.  All of this crashing happened after I installed
> "libflashsupport.i386".  Damn, I wish I didn't.  Is there a way to go back
> to status quo?  I already removed libflashsupport - how about my firefox
> config files?  Thanks.

So; just to give an update.  I removed "flash-player" through my package
manager (flash version 10) and then installed it again.  My firefox still
crashes, but it seems to crash only after I leave a site that flash was
playing on.  Before; it would crash after playing 1 flash movie - now (for
example: YouTube) I can watch multiple flash movies, but if I go to another
web site it'll crash.

Is there a way to reset this craziness.  I've already uninstalled
"libflashsupport", but that's where it all started going south!  Thanks for
any help.