[ale] [OT] Still time to Vote with Evidence! + PaperCounts.org email petition

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Oct 21 17:31:07 EDT 2008

On 2008, Oct, 21, , at 3:57 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 13:38, Greg Freemyer
> <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But the "for no reason" ballots can only be mailed to your registered
>> address, so there is some confidence that the address actually exists
>> at a minimum, unlike some we are hearing about on the news.
>
> Err... is there a cap on the number of voter forms that can be mailed
> to a single address?
>
> -Jim P.

Yes, there is a cap. The cap is the total number of individual
registered voters residing at the address who make a signed request
for a Paper Absentee Ballot; it is one person, one ballot.  At my home
address, the number was three -- one for myself, one for my life partner
and one for my daughter -- since we are all registered at this address
and all faxed in separate, signed requests to vote by Paper Absentee
Ballot. It took 7 days for our ballots to arrive by mail.

Applications for Paper Absentee Ballots are thoroughly screened against
the voter registration records. When an application is processed and
the ballot is mailed out, that fact is noted in the voter registration
roles.  Any subsequent requests for another absentee ballot under that
voter registration will be denied.  When your voted ballot is received
at your County Registrars office, the registration and signatures on
the outside mailing envelope are again checked against the voter
registration records and, if all is in order, you are recorded as
having voted in the voter roles. Your ballot is stored under lock and
key until it is counted after the close of polls on election day. Any
other attempts to vote in that election will raise red flags and may
be considered attempted vote fraud that can be charged as a felony.

Once your Paper Absentee Ballot request is processed, you are basically
committed to voting on that ballot.  If the USPS fails to deliver your
ballot in a timely manner or some other problem occurs, the only other
option will be to vote a provisional paper ballot in person.  You would
likewise be directed to vote a provisional ballot if you attempt to vote
at your precinct on election day, knowing that your absentee ballot has
not already been mailed to the County Registrar and that you cannot
surrender your absentee ballot to the precinct poll workers.  Your
provisional ballot will only be counted if your absentee ballot is not
delivered to the County Registrar's office by the deadline; if it does
arrive, both your absentee and provisional ballots are considered
invalid and, again, you may be charged with attempted vote fraud.

Admittedly, absentee balloting is not the most secure or well monitored
method of voting. The less guarded chain of custody requires a higher
level of trust that your fellow citizens and our election officials will
respect the voting process. The unacceptable alternative is to flatly
disenfranchise large numbers of fellow citizens of their right to vote
and to have their votes counted. For informed Georgians, the even more
unacceptable alternative to voting a "No Reason Required" Paper Absentee
Ballot is to be forced to participate in the obvious vote fraud of using
zero-evidence DRE election systems.

Fortunately, cases of stolen voter identity or persons attempting to
cast multiple ballots remain extremely rare, perhaps because of the
ease of detection, the severe penalty if caught and the massive size
of the conspiracy needed to affect any large scale change in an
election's outcome.

peace
aaron