[ale] DummyQ: LCD X11 parameters

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 21 16:34:59 EDT 2008

ALErs -

I've always been fairly cautious not to push a CRT display's timing
parameters when setting up X<whatever> from Linux - I've taken the
warnings about smoking consoles seriously (well ... mostly).

I notice that if the 'xorg' hardware mapping is allowed to run its course,
it comes up with a considerably denser mode setting than Samsung's
published 1440x900. I may want to use the denser display. Can anyone cite
experience or suggest a damage mechanism resulting from 'overclocking' an
LCD display? Can anyone suggest a mechanism by which it is actually
working? Both are mysteries to me.

TIA.
  - Mills